Hi! and welcome to the 3rd part of our pre and postnatal series leading up to our teacher training in January 2017. You can read the 1st part on preconception and Pilates here.
Here we go!
Second Trimester – 14-27 weeks
- The second trimester is considered the most comfortable stage.
- The body has become adapted to the hormonal changes; nausea and fatigue have usually subsided.
Precautions to Take:
- Mom may be uncomfortable on her back towards the later part of the 2nd trimester due to the weight of the uterus pressing on the vena cava artery. Symptoms are shortness of breath, dizziness
- Limit laying flat to about 3 minutes at a time. Let mom be the judge of that. She may be fine laying for 10 min.
- Modify laying down exercises by either sitting up, or propping heart above the belly or “heart over baby”
- Relaxin and Progesterone, the hormones responsible for the loosening of the joints and ligaments, begin to rise, leaving mom vulnerable to sprains and falls.
- Be careful not to overstretch, especially the hamstrings and adductors (inner thighs)
- Clumsiness is common due to a drop in testosterone. Be aware of this when giving exercises that test balance.
- Hug the Baby – Free the Baby concept
- Good understanding of lateral thoracic breathing
- Latissimus dorsi and pelvic floor engagement (part of Hug the Baby)
- Adjusting to center of gravity and baby grows.
Recommended 2nd Trimester Pilates Exercises:
Always make sure your client has clearance from her doctor. And that she has signed a liability waiver for your studio.
- Breathing –
-Breath awareness with Lateral Thoracic Breathing-standing, sitting and laying down. (Click on the image below to print for your or your clients)
2. Spinal Dance
3. up and over, up and twist
mermaid stretch with elbow
Resistance Band Exercises for Upper Body
- Rotator Cuff Exercises
- Chest Expansion
- Bow n’ Arrow
- Bicep Curls With Head Variations
- Rotator Cuff Exercises
Hug the Baby- Belly to the spine – and free the baby-release
-Important for overall stability during exercise and everyday activities.
7. Gluteal (Butt) muscle Use and awareness With squatting
Equipment Bonus Material – Video – Squatting with the Trapeze Bar
That concludes our 2nd trimester safe exercises in this post.
Do you have any 2nd trimester favorites? Please share below!
Thank you for hanging out with me to learn more about the 1st trimester!
Do your postnatal clients have unrealistic expecations about their body after pregnancy?
Give this ready-made resource to your clients! Body Patience After Pregnancy-Why Patience Pays Off
When You Are Working to Get Your Body Back
Please feel free to contact me with questions or comments! AlisonB.Marsh@YourPregnantCore.com
Thank you for your dedication to this special population! Know that you are making a HUGE difference in the lives of your clients by learning how to better help them!