Pre & Postnatal Pilates and Exercise Books:
EXERCISING THROUGH YOUR PREGNANCY by James F. Clapp. Omaha, Nebraska. Addicus Books, Inc., 2012.
- Examining the effects of exercise on women and their babies, this book presents case studies of women who exercised regularly before, during, and after pregnancy.
- The book provides guidelines for exercise plans that safely fulfill a mother’s needs during different phases of pregnancy, answering such questions as,
- How does exercise benefit the mother?
- How does exercise affect growth of the fetus?
- What is the effect of exercise on milk production?
- Does exercise limit weight gain during pregnancy?
- What is the right amount of exercise?
- What are the dos and don’ts of exercising when pregnant?
- When should exercise be avoided?
- How late into pregnancy can you exercise? and
- What should be the exercise regimen after giving birth?
- Updated to include the latest scientific information on staying fit during pregnancy and emphasize appropriate exercises, this new edition thoroughly describes the changes that happen to the mother while she’s pregnant and how both she and the child can benefit through exercise.
DIASTASIS RECTI- THE WHOLE-BODY SOLUTION TO ABDOMINAL WEAKNESS AND SEPARATION by Katie Bowman. USA. Propriometrics Press, 2016
- Diastasis recti, the separation of the abdominal muscles, is a symptom of a whole-body problem.
- Your abdominal muscles bend, twist, and support the spine. They contract and release to help you breathe, cough, talk, and sing. They stretch to accommodate pregnancy, haul your lower body towards your upper, and protect your abdominal organs. They should not be splitting down the middle.
- In Diastasis Recti: The Whole Body Solution to Abdominal Weakness and Separation, biomechanist Katy Bowman explains the larger picture when it comes to DR including body alignment; frequency of movement; the effects of all-day forces, like intra-abdominal pressure; and why a few exercises simply aren’t enough for long-term success.
- You need to learn a new way to move for an improved set of core muscles.
- Because the abdominals are connected directly and indirectly to every other part of the body, Diastasis Recti lays out a whole-body corrective program to address the factors that overloaded the core in the first place.
- With over 30 exercises and habit modifications, this book is for any man or woman experiencing abdominal separation or weakness and wanting to improve both the appearance and the function of their abdomen.
PILATES PREGNANCY GUIDE by Lynne Robinson and Jacqueline Knox. Buffalo, New York. Firefly Books Ltd., 2006.
- Suitable for women at all fitness levels — with or without Pilates experience — this book provides a comprehensive program during the entire period of pregnancy, with exercises specific to each trimester.
- Preparing for pregnancy
- The benefits of Pilates during pregnancy
- A program for the first six weeks after the birth
- A continuing program for staying in shape.
- Workout menus designed for each stage of the pregnancy offer recommended exercises complete with guidelines and warnings.
- Illustrated with color photographs, each exercise sequence is outlined in specific stages: Aim, Starting Position, Action, and Watchpoints. This exercise program ensures controlled and safe routines throughout the pregnancy and beyond.
THE PREGNANT BODY BOOK New York, New York. DK Publishing. 2011.
- An ideal reference for both medical students and prospective parents, The Pregnant Body Book looks at the nature of human pregnancy, including how it’s changed through evolution, and explores the anatomy and physiology of both the reproductive systems.
- Examining the development of the baby in the womb and the parallel changes in the mother’s body and structured to follow the process week by week, The Pregnant Body Book follows every anatomical and physiological change and tracks it in unprecedented detail.
- Specially commissioned 3D artworks, illustrations, scans, and photography show exactly how a baby changes and grows during pregnancy, and how the female body adapts to carry it.
- Includes interactive DVD featuring cutting edge animations.
PREPARING FOR A GENTLE BIRTH: THE PELVIS IN PREGNANCY by Blandine Calais-Germain and Nuria Vives Pares. Rochester, Vermont. Healing Arts Press, 2009.
- An illustrated hands-on guide to the dynamics of the female pelvis for expectant mothers, midwives, and birth professionals.
• Provides fully illustrated exercises to help the expectant mother prepare her pelvis for birth and gain confidence in her body’s innate ability to birth her child
• Details the anatomical intricacies of the female pelvis and its capabilities for expansion and return to its original form
• Presents movements and positions to ease discomfort, enhance the productivity of contractions, aid the internal expansion of the pelvis, and prevent and treat issues that may arise such as “failure to progress”
THE PILATES PREGNANCY by Mari Winsor with Mark Laska. Cambridge, MA. DaCapo Lifelong Books, 2001.
- Pilates is now recognized as one of the best overall exercises for the pregnant body as well.
- Pilates doesn’t divert blood flow from the growing fetus.
- As important, Pilates strengthens the abdominal muscles known as the “powerhouse,” making it easier for new mothers to recover from childbirth and regain their pre-pregnancy waistline.
- Working with Dr. Uzzi Reiss, a prominent Los Angeles-based gynecologist and obstetrician, Mari Winsor has developed the first mat-based Pilates routine for pregnant women.
- Illustrated with 100 black-and-white photographs, the exercises in The Pilates Pregnancy are gentle on the body and easy to do at any stage of pregnancy.
YOU: HAVING A BABY By Mehmet C. Oz, M.D. And Michael F. Roizen, M.D. New York, Ny. Free Press, 2009.
- Whether you’re pregnant for the first time, are trying to start your family, or already have enough children to start your own basketball team, you’re bound to have questions about what it means to be pregnant — and how you can increase your odds of having a healthy and happy pregnancy.
- But no matter how much you’ve read, watched, studied, or talked about this amazing biological journey, you have never read anything like this.
- A great resource for pregnant clients.
YOUR PREGNANCY AND CHILDBIRTH: MONTH TO MONTH – SIXTH EDITION by The American College Of Obstetricians And Gynecologists, Women’s Health Care Physicians. Washington, Dc. The American College Of Obstetricians And Gynecologists, 2016.
- Based on ACOG guidelines and written by the experts in women’s health care, this new edition of Your Pregnancy and Childbirth: Month to Month gives your patients the most accurate information available about pregnancy, childbirth, labor and delivery, breastfeeding, and the postpartum period.
OTHER RELATED BOOKS
RETURN TO LIFE THROUGH CONTROLOGY By Joseph H. Pilates. 1945.
- RETURN TO LIFE is the original Pilates exercise book written by the creator and visionary of the Pilates method of exercise, Joseph H. Pilates.
- This book reviews the conceptual basis and philosophy of the Pilates method or ‘Contrology’ and the original matwork exercises Mr. Pilates taught in the studio on 8th Avenue and 55th Street in New York City.
- The model featured in this book is Mr. Pilates himself at the age of 60
Anatomy and Kinesiology
Muscle and Motion – Anatomy and Strength Training Software. I personally use this software. My understanding of anatomy, and how to apply it to my curriculum has skyrocketed since starting the program. It is easy to use, and reasonably priced. I am an affiliate for this company because I believe strongly in their product.